The Proper Way Of Cleaning and Maintaining Your Glock Firearm
Before You Start Cleaning Read the Owner's Manual
Prepare Your Cleaning Accessories and Work Area
Wear Safety Equipment
How to Clean Your Glock Firearm
1. Take the Glock apart
- Point it away in a safe direction and release the magazine.
- Rack the slide several times to ensure no ammunition is left in the chamber.
- Then pull the slide back and pull down its lock.
- Remove the spring and the barrel from the slide.
2. Clean the Barrel
- Attach a brush to the rod and run it through the chamber to break up carbon buildup.
- Using the rod, run a solvent-soaked patch through the chamber and bore of the barrel.
- Soak another patch in lubricating oil and run it over the external section.
3. Clean the Frame, The Slide, And The Recoil Spring
- Use a clean brush to remove carbon and dirt from the exterior of the frame, the magazine interior, the rails, the spring trigger bar, and everything in between.
- Soak a rag in the solvent and clean these parts again.
4. Apply Lubricating Oil
- Apply a drop of lubricant to the end of the trigger bar, the guide rod, the back ends of the slide rail cuts, and the square shelf where the barrel’s hood locks up into the slide.
- Use a patch to distribute the oil drops evenly around these parts.
5. Reassemble and Test
- Reassemble your Glock by inserting the barrel, the recoil spring, and the slider back onto the frame.
- Without loading the magazine, point the Glock in a safe direction and pull the trigger. Release the trigger and feel it reset.
- If anything feels out of place, consult the owner’s manual to identify the problem.
How Often Should I Clean My Glock Firearm?
- Every firearm is unique, and your maintenance routine will depend on how frequently you use it.
When it's Brand New
Exposed to Moisture & Dirt
Is it Bad to Clean Your Glock Firearm Too Much?
Cleaning Your Glock Firearm Can Be A Lot Easier
- 5 Reasons Why Cleaning Your Handgun Is Important: https://keystoneshootingcenter.com/blog/5-reasons-why-cleaning-your-handgun-is-important
- How to Disassemble a Glock: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wikihow.com/Disassemble-a-Glock%3famp=1
- Gun Maintenance Tips: How to Clean a Glock 17: https://www.hoppes.com/ho-blog-educational-videos/ho-blog-how-to-clean-glock-17.html
- Maintaining Your Glock Pistol: https://www.police1.com/police-products/firearms/articles/maintaining-your-glock-pistol-8cMJtI74CvqU4tC