Top 7 Solvents for Removing Carbon
Here’s how to prevent carbon build-up in your firearm. Like anything else in your house, if you don’t take care of your firearm, it will look pretty nasty and even malfunction. Fortunately, cleaning firearms is relatively easy – as long as you have the right cleaning solvent.
So, what are carbon solvents, and more importantly, what are the top carbon solvents for removing carbon? Keep reading to find out!
What are Carbon Solvents?
Most firearms shooters have experienced the frustration of carbon build-up in their weapons at one time or another. This build-up can cause all sorts of problems, from jams to decreased accuracy. Fortunately, several different solvents can help prevent carbon build-up. These solvents are known as carbon solvents.
Essentially, carbon solvents are solvents that are capable of dissolving carbon residue from firearms. They come in various forms, including aerosols and liquids, with each form having varying degrees of solubility for carbon.
Moreover, due to the organic nature of the solvents, they can be mixed with various other organic liquids to aid in the removal of other impurities from firearms, such as copper and lead.
Top 7 Solvents for Removing Carbon
There are a variety of solvents that can be used to remove carbon from firearms. Some solvents are more effective than others, and some are more dangerous to use. Nonetheless, here are the top 7 solvents for removing carbon from firearms.
- Remington Oil: This solvent is a favorite among shooters and firearm enthusiasts. It’s effective in removing carbon build-up and is safe to use on all firearms.
- Hoppe’s No. 9: Another popular solvent for cleaning firearms, Hoppe’s No. 9 is known for quickly removing carbon build-up. It’s also biodegradable and non-toxic, making it a safer choice for those concerned about the environment.
- Butch’s Bore Shine: A favorite of competitive shooters, Butch’s Bore Shine is one of the most effective solvents for removing carbon from firearms. It quickly cleans barrels and leaves behind a protective coating that helps prevent future build-up.
- Ballistol: Ballistol is a multipurpose cleaner used on various surfaces, including firearms. It’s effective in removing carbon build-up and also helps to protect your firearm against corrosion.
- Birchwood Casey Firearm Scrubber: This solvent quickly removes carbon build-up from firearms. It’s non-toxic and biodegradable, making it a safe choice for most firearm enthusiasts.
- Break Free CLP: A popular all-in-one cleaner, lubricant, and preservative. Break Free CLP is effective in removing carbon build-up from firearms. It also protects your firearm against rust and corrosion.
- Shooter’s Choice Carbon Cutter: This solvent quickly removes carbon build-up from firearms. It’s non-flammable and non-toxic, making it a safe choice for those concerned about the environment.
Things to Consider Before Buying Carbon Solvents
Carbon solvents are essential in preventing carbon build-up. However, there are a few things to consider before purchasing a carbon solvent. Some of them include:
- Type of solvent: First, you need to decide whether you want an aerosol or liquid solvent.
- The material the firearm is made from: Some solvents can damage certain materials, such as aluminum or magnesium alloys. So make sure you select a safe solvent to use on the material your firearm is made from.
- The severity of the carbon build-up: Carbon deposits can be stubborn and difficult to remove, especially if the deposits have stayed for extended periods. While some carbon build-ups can be removed with a simple wipe down, other build-ups may require a more powerful solvent. If you’re dealing with a lot of built-up carbon, choose a specifically designed solvent to break down carbon deposits.
- The environment: Some carbon solvents are more environmentally friendly than others. If you’re concerned about the impact your cleaning products have on the environment, be sure to choose a solvent that is biodegradable and non-toxic.
- The climate you will be using the solvent in: Some solvents are more effective in warmer climates, while others work better in colder climates. When choosing a solvent, ensure you select a solvent suited for the climate where you will be using it.
- The type of debris: Not all solvents effectively remove all types of debris. While some solvents are explicitly designed for carbon deposits, others are tailored to remove a combination of carbon, copper, and even lead deposits.
- Budget: Of course, budget is another important factor. With various solvents comes varying prices, so select a solvent within your spending budget.
- Cleaning time: If you’re always in haste to clean your firearms at the last minute, it will be advisable to go for a solvent with high solubility for carbon deposits. Such solvents can quickly dissolve the carbon debris, allowing you to proceed with other firearm maintenance operations.
Importance of Carbon Solvents
Carbon solvents are essential because they are specifically designed to remove carbon build-up from firearms. Moreover, allowing carbon deposits to build up on your firearm can cause a variety of problems, including:
- Jamming the firearm
- Making it difficult to pull the trigger
- Causing the firearm to explode
- Reducing the accuracy of the firearm
- Giving the firearm a dirty appearance
- Affecting the performance of the firearm
- Causing the firearm to rust
Nonetheless, there are a few things that you can do to prevent carbon build-up on your firearm. Some of them include:
- Regularly clean the firearm using a carbon solvent
- Make sure that you store the firearm in a dry place
- Lubricate the firearm after each use
Carbon solvents are an essential part of firearm cleaning and maintenance. They help remove carbon deposits from the bore, chamber, and other parts of the firearm. While these solvents can help you remove excess deposits, it’s crucial that you clean and lubricate your firearm regularly to ensure your firearm remains in perfect working condition.
At Armory Den, we offer a variety of firearm cleaning kits that can help you clean your firearm effectively without making a mess in the process. Our kits are designed to help you streamline your firearm cleaning process while allowing you to capture and reuse your cleaning solvent.
However, if you have any further questions about firearms or firearm cleaning kits, please don’t hesitate to contact us.