Proper Vehicle Firearm Storage Options: How to Choose
Vehicle Storage Options for Firearms
Vehicle firearm rack
Safety Considerations for Storing Firearms in Vehicles
- Make sure the firearm is unloaded before storing it in the vehicle.
- Store the firearm in a locked compartment, safe, or container.
- Keep the ammunition stored separately from the firearm.
- Do not store firearms where they can be easily seen or reached by children or unauthorized adults.
What to Consider When Choosing a Vehicle Storage Option for Your Firearm
- Ease of access – You’ll want to choose a storage option that allows you to quickly and easily access your firearm when you need it and keeps it securely stored when you don’t. A good option for this is a locking glove box or center console.
- Concealment – If you’re worried about someone seeing your firearm, you might want to choose a storage option that offers some degree of concealment, such as an under-seat lockbox.
- Mounting options – Some vehicle storage options need to be mounted to be used, so make sure you choose an option that can be easily installed in your vehicle.
- Cost – Vehicle storage options can range in price from around $20 to $200, so choose an option that fits your budget.
Tips for Keeping Your Firearms Safe in a Vehicle
- Keep it out of sight – If possible, keep your firearm hidden from view to deter thieves and prevent accidents.
- Unloaded and disassembled – When storing your firearm in a vehicle, make sure it is unloaded and disassembled (if possible) to reduce the risk of an accidental discharge further.
- Avoid hot cars – Never leave your firearm in a vehicle parked in direct sunlight or a hot environment, as this can damage the firearm and make it more susceptible to accidents.
- Know the laws – Be sure to familiarize yourself with the firearm laws in your state before storing a firearm in your vehicle, as there may be specific regulations you need to follow.